We all want to be happy, don’t we? Does it surprise you to know that God wants you to be happy? Well, he does, but you might be surprised to find out that what Jesus said about happiness is quite different from what you and I might expect. Many people think that to be happy means being wealthy, being popular, having lots of possessions or a big house.. That isn’t what Jesus said.
In our reading today, He says things like:
- Be happy when you are poor in spirit, because then you will find that your riches are in the kingdom of heaven.
- Be happy when you feel you have lost what is most dear to you, because it is then that you will feel the love of the One who is the most dear to you.
- Be happy with what you have, because then you will find that your heavenly Father provides everything that you need.
- Be happy when you are hungry for the things of God, because then you will find that only He can satisfy.
- Be happy when you are caring for others, because it is in caring for others that you will find that you have a heavenly Father who cares for you.
- Be happy when your heart is right with God, because it is then that you will see that God is at work in the world around you.
- Be happy when you help others to get along peacefully with one another, because it is then that you will know the peace that comes from being a part of the family of God.
- Be happy when others treat you badly because you follow me, because your reward will be great in heaven.
You see, happiness is not a feeling that is brought about by the things that happen to us. It is an attitude that we have because of what we have in our heart. We need to be like the bee, buzzing happily through life because of what God has done for us.
Adapted : Sermons4kids